I'm not gonna lie. I have failed at my resolution to be a better blogger in 2012. Luckily there's always next year.
I have, however, done a little better on my resolution to drink more water. And with that lead-in...
A giveaway announcement!!
But first you have to look at what I'm giving away in various spots throughout my house/life.
There it is with my lunch one day last week (which also happens to be what I had for lunch today).
There it is on Millie. Just hanging out while I went for a little run.
There it is on my desk, keeping me company while I worked. Chilling on a completely unnecessary SF Giants coaster.
And last but not least, cheesy proof that I take it everywhere these days.
The IT in all the pics happens to be a hydration bottle with Thermos brand vacuum insulation technology. This bottle rocks. It is my new favorite. I usually have a cup of water sitting next to the sink in the kitchen and usually keep one nearby when I work. But since I've been using my new Thermos bottle, I have water with me everywhere I go.
The best part is the temperature of the water. I don't like my water super cold, but I don't like it once it's room temperature either. So I'm a little picky. Whatever. I can fill my Thermos bottle from the fridge water dispenser, add four ice cubes, and it stays the perfect temperature all day. I actually let it sit overnight after filling it once just to verify this claim.
Now that you've heard (read) my two cents, here's some information from a study that will make you want a bottle like mine even more!!
It’s easy to hit a plateau during your run, but the key to improving your overall workout might be as simple as cold water. The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition published a recent study conducted by Athletes’ Performance, an elite professional and Olympic athlete training facility in Phoenix, Arizona, to determine the effect of continuous hydration with cold water during exercise. Using hydration bottles from Thermos with vacuum insulation technology, the results of the study showed that drinking cold water (40° F) significantly mediates and delays the increase in core body temperature during exercise, which could impede performance.
Some other highlights from the study:
- A rise in body temperature was delayed 45 minutes while drinking cold water as opposed to just 15 minutes for those drinking room temperature water (75° F)
- Nearly 50% of participants improved in the broad jump test and 51% in the bicycle time to exhaustion test with cold water consumption
- The longer you work out, the more important drinking cold water becomes. The study results strongly demonstrate that the benefits of cold water hydration for core temperature increase as the length of the workout session increases (reaching its highest difference at 60 minutes).
To keep water at the recommended 40°F during workouts, start with cold water from the refrigerator (or tap water with ice) and keep it cold in a hydration bottle with Thermos brand vacuum insulation technology, which will keep drinks cold for up to 12 hours. The vacuum insulation technology provides cold water hydration during workouts to keep your core temperature down, potentially relieving heat-related stress on the body that leads to fatigue and other negative effects on performance.
Here's what you can get:
- 18 oz. Stainless Steel Thermos® Hydration Bottle with double wall vacuum insulation for maximum temperature retention. (Really stays cold for 12 hours!)
- Hygienic push button sipper lid with locking ring. (It is awesome. In a runnerdy way, I admit.)
- Comfortable rubber grip.
- Sweat proof design won't leave water rings. (No SF Giants coaster necessary. Although a Runnerd one would just look cool.)
- Fits most automotive cup holders. (It fits mine, which is what really matters.)
- You get to save 20 bones by winning it instead of buying it. (But if you don't win it, I still suggest you fork out the 20 bucks to get one. It is TOTALLY worth it. You can buy one HERE.)
Here's how to (potentially) win it:
- Like my blog. Leave a comment to let me know you are a faithful reader and one of my biggest fans. (Can you tell I'm in a good mood today?)
- Tell me why you really, really want this awesome bottle for an additional giveaway entry.
- Share the giveaway on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram. Leave me a comment with a link to your sharing of the giveaway love. Each place you share is worth another giveaway entry. But if you don't leave a comment letting me know, I might not keep track of it even if I happen to see it and love it, like it or even retweet it. I'm just lazy that way.
*I was provided a Thermos Hydration Bottle in exchange for my review of the product. Another bottle is being provided for one giveaway winner at no charge to me.