"Crystal Clean and No Caffeine!" That was the award I once earned at a family reunion. Lack of sleep due to two children, a soda-loving husband, and the wonderful sweetness of Dr. Pepper have stripped me of that title! It is too easy to find an excuse to drink DP - lack of sleep, a headache, or even that the caffeine will give me a little extra boost for my run (pathetic, I know). I have been thinking a lot about this lately, prompted by the fact that my three-year-old always wants a drink of my drink. Here is what my thoughts have amounted to:
- I didn't drink caffeine while pregnant and the first several months I was nursing. I know it is not good for a developing fetus, and it isn't good for my baby now either. Since I am still nursing, I owe it to my baby to keep the caffeine out of her system.
- My Dad drinks an incredible amount of caffeinated soda. I can't hope he will kick the habit and say it isn't good for him if I drink the stuff.
- If it isn't around, my three-year-old won't want or be able to drink it.
- My body is made mostly of water, not soda.
- Think of the calories I will save!